The Proper Way to Use Latisse
Having thin eyelashes and narrow eyebrows can ruin the appearance of your face. This is a common issue that many people face, but they often use makeup to make up for the lack of eyelashes or eyebrows. This doesn’t always provide a natural look, however, so extra help must be acquired to get thick lashes.
In cases where someone has thin and damaged lashes, latisse can be used to enhance them. Latisse is an FDA-approved treatment developed by Allergen and is made from Bimatoprost, which is used to reduce the strain on the muscles around the eyes and promote the growth of eyelashes and eyebrows.
Steps to Correctly Apply Latisse
- Remove Makeup and Contacts
- Latisse works best when applied directly on the skin. Any make-up you have may not allow the the fluid to seep in correctly. Before applying the solution, you should wash off any makeup with warm water and soap. If you’re wearing contacts, remove them before you use Latisse.
- Select an Applicator from the Pack
- The Latisse box comes with a pack of 100 applicators in strips and a 5ml bottle of the active agent serum. Break open one strip and take out the applicator. Hold it by the stem and do not touch the bristles.
- Pour a drop of the Latisse serum on the applicator
- The Latisse active agent is extremely powerful and a single drop is sufficient for each session. Gently squeeze the bottle and pour one drop of the serum on the bristles of the applicator.
- Apply the serum across the eyelid where the lashes grow
- The correct technique to apply Latisse is to apply it as you would eyeliner – from the inside to the outside. Apply it on the area where the skin meets the eyelashes (where the eyelashes grow) in a single sweep.
- If you’re applying Latisse on the eyebrows, follow the same technique by coating the brows from one side to the other.
- Do not apply on the lower eyelid. Simply blinking will make the solution spread to the lower eyelids.
Dab and Remove any Excess Latisse
If you accidentally apply too much latisse and it spreads to other areas of the face, it is important that you wipe it off immediately. Latisse is a highly effective solution that can cause hair to grow in unwanted areas if you don’t take care to wipe it off fast enough. You can avoid this if you follow the instructions carefully and use no more than what is required.
Use a Fresh Applicator for Each Eye
Avoid using the same applicator for both eyes. Use two separate applicators, one for each eye and use only the applicators that come with the Latisse packet and not something that you find around your house. Doing this can help eliminate the risk of infections in the eyes. Remember to always dispose of any used applicators immediately after the treatment.
Key Rules to Remember When Using Latisse
Use Latisse only once a day, every day for the first four months. Unless prescribed by a medical professional, you should refrain from using it multiple times in the day. You will notice optimal results after four months of use and once you do, you can use the serum two to three times a week.
It takes the serum about 15 minutes to be absorbed into the skin. Do not touch your face, insert contacts or apply make-up for these 15 minutes as this can hinder its effects.
Store the solution and applicators in a clean and dry place and do not let it touch any dirty surfaces. Avoid touching the bristles at all times. This can contaminate them and transmit bacteria into your eyes.
Contact Our Office
Latisse is a highly effective cosmetic treatment for improving eyelash length and thickness. If you’re interested in enhance the look of your eyelashes, contact our office to schedule an appointment with Dr. Robert Lowen to learn more.